Sunday, May 21, 2006

Coal Miner’s Classic – Heavy hearts and lessons learned

I am trying to think if there was ever a time I didn’t complete a race I started. Granted, I have only been competing now for four years (marathons, triathlons, bike races), but the short answer is no. That would change at today’s race.

Today’s race would start with heavy hearts. It had been renamed to The Scott Kornfield Memorial Race. Scott was killed tragically last year while on a training ride with Nate. Scott helped put Feedback Sports Race Team together. I never knew Scott, so I don’t have the same emotional connection that everyone else on the team has. I can only imagine how they felt, given how I was feeling that morning. Regardless, I knew the significance of this race and what it meant to my teammates.

Left to right - Me, Andrew, Nate, Brad, Diran, Titus, Andy

The night before the race, I had trouble sleeping playing out the different scenarios that could unfold on race day. You know, “what would you do if this happens?” type stuff. The underlying theme of it all was patience. I kept telling myself, "no matter what, be patient."

The race started and once again I had trouble clipping into my pedals. It wasn’t as bad this time, but still frustrating nonetheless. Having Andy right behind me helped keep me cool while I got clipped in. Once clipped in, I found myself in the middle of the pack. I was happy with that for the time being.

During the second lap a break started to form. Nate, the team opportunist, was once again in the break. Seeing that the break didn’t really push a big advantage initially, I decided to remain in the peloton and ride comfortably behind Andy. This strategy seemed to work as I was able to ride within myself never pushing the upper limits.

With about five laps to go the break still had maintained its advantage, even increased it some. I knew then it probably wasn’t coming back. Andy had apparently read my mind because then he put in a Herculean effort to bridge to the break. I sat on his wheel as long as I could, then swung around to make the final push. We passed the start/finish which was on a slight uphill so I knew that would be my best chance to bridge, and sure enough I tagged onto the back at the top.

Once I bridged, I was just going to sit in and recover a bit. I still felt pretty good even after bridging the gap. I just needed about 20-25 seconds of sitting in to recover. I would get that and then some. We made a right turn to go down the back stretch and as we made that turn, I felt me rear wheel fish tail a little. Hmmmm. Ok, keep going. On the downhill straight-a-way, it started to do it again. This isn’t good. Yep, it’s flat. Maybe if I could get around to the wheel pit, I can get a wheel change. Wait a minute. I didn’t bring any wheels. SHIT!!!!!!

I was probably in the break for less than 30 seconds, before I flatted. I couldn’t believe it, my first DNF. After all the work Andy did, this is how I repay him?

The break stayed away the whole way and Nate finished 5th on the day. A good result, but dammit I should have been in the mix! What's the lesson in all of this? Always bring extra wheels for the wheel pit. The pit is there for a reason.

More Racing

After my race, Holden decided to he wanted to race in the kids race. Only problem, he had a flat tire too. This must run in the family. We raced home, changed is tire, then raced back to the race.

Apparently, dragging around a teammate that would ultimately DNF wasn’t enough for Andy. Holden and I arrived just in time to see the last four laps of the Men 35+ race. Andy was at the front looking strong. This man doesn’t stop.

Andy putting the hurt on the 35+ field (in the new clothing) .

Once that race concluded, it was time for Holden to see what his legs could do. I was just hoping we wouldn’t have a repeat of Redlands. We walked down to the start and the kids got all lined
up.

Holden getting ready...A couple of riders don't look 4 to me.

“Ready, GO!” Wait a minute, did anyone tell them where to stop? Holden, took off. From the start it was really just between him and these two other boys. One had gotten away, but Holden dropped the hammer. His legs were pumping so fast it looked like he was out of control. I couldn’t tell from the back but it look like he got to line first. If not first, he was a close second. Regardless, the race had just started for me. Watching the earlier races, Holden saw the riders go all the way around the 1+ mile circuit, so he thought he had to do the same. A quarter of a mile later I finally caught him. I love kids.

Holden starting to crank it up.

And more racing

After taking Holden back to his third birthday party in two days, we headed back to the race site to catch the last race of the day, CAT 3 Men. Diran would once again be the sole Feedback racer. Before the race, Nate spoke to the riders about Scott and everyone observed a moment of silence.

Nate speaking to the 3s.

Once the race got off, it looked fast and furious. Diran looked good and was in the main bunch the whole race. There were a lot of racers that didn’t look so great.

Diran in the mix.

Congrats to the entire team today. We fielded six in the CAT 4 and overall, I think we performed pretty well with two riders (Nate & Andrew) in the top 10. Next up, Rocky Mounts Omnium (and Bolder Boulder).

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Sorry about your flat. :( Kudos to Holden for a great race. What a riot! He was probably well fueled from the bday party sugar highs.

Diran Ayandele said...

Ahh - you flatter me.